Friday, March 10, 2006

The Saints in Our Midst

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

This was supposed to be my day off. Out last night, unexpectedly up early, tried to return to bed, but the phone calls started pouring in....

And one of them was from the revered associate editor of America, James Martin, SJ. Earlier in the week, Fr Martin -- a native of the Philly burbs and a fellow Penn alum (that's double trouble) -- had given me the heads-up that he was going to be in town today for an appearance on NPR's Radio Times to promote his new book, My Life with the Saints, which was released Tuesday.

I just got my copy and will offer reflections on it in due course. In the meantime, you can find the audio of Jim's appearance this morning at this link. It was, simply put, vunderbar.... Gives hope to a poor sinner like me in the context of this ever-more-loudly-spotless blogosphere and church.

Anyways, on this beautiful day which provided a window onto spring (the mercury hit a record high 73 degrees here in the River City), Martin's planned lunch had fallen through. As we were supposed to do a quick pre-show coffee, he asked if I'd be up for lunch. It was just damn thrilling -- it's always such a treat to receive good company -- and a wonderful time to boot, held at the legendary site of my annual Holy Thursday post-Chrism Mass group kibbitz, a function which has become known as "The Last Pranzo."

So do go listen and enjoy.

-30-